Foxcote No 60 Sydney Buildings

No 60 today as it is today

The plot of land to the south of No 54, the last Georgian house in the road, remained with the Bathwick Estate until the 1930s. In 1934 a lease was obtained by Mr F J Cashnella and permission for him to proceed building eight detached houses was granted.

A section of the approved building plans dated 22.09.1934

In 1936 two sisters, Gertrude Laura Mathews and Katharine Mary Mathews, pay £695 to Francis John Cashnella, of No 7 Cambridge Place Bath (the builder), to lease the plot and erect a dwelling to be known as No 60, with a 999 year lease dated from 29 Sept 1934 to the Bathwick estate to be paid at £4 10s annually in 2 half yearly payments.

The Lease

The sisters are shown in the Post Office Directories as living in their property from 1937. In 1943 Gertrude Mathews dies and in 1944 the remaining sister, Katharine Mathews, sells to John Brewer Pobjoy for £1,500.

John Pobjoy is listed as residing at No 60 until 1961. In March of that year he draws up a will appointing Leonard Haines, Nables Farm Draycott, Nr Chippenham [farmer], John Raymond Holbrook, 3 The Firs combe Down [retired engineers draughtsman], and two solicitors from 4/5 North Parade Bath: James William Denning and Edmund Saville Monckton as executors and trustees. He died in December and probate was finally granted in March 1962.

The property is sold in June 1962 to Philip Anderson Wooster and his wife, Barbara Jean Wooster, for £3,400.

In 1970 the Barringtons at No 59, purchase a strip of land from the Woosters. Following this, proposed extensions to No 60 for a playroom, laundry, study and an additional bedroom are approved.

The Woosters sell to Mrs Jill Mary Norton in 1976 for £19,950

Neil Leonard Carpenter and Jean Roe Carpenter then acquire the property and also, in 1979, the leasehold from the Bathwick Estate for £67.50. The property is now freehold. Colin James Rivers and Elizabeth Joanne Rivers then purchase the house. [Date unknown but listed in the 1982 Register of Electors.]

In 1984 the Rivers sell to Mrs Sheila Macgregor Mundle for £68,750. A letter dated 6th August 1984 to Mrs Mundle from her solicitors Stone, King and Wardle of 13 Queen Square says that "Mrs Rivers may like to stay on as a tenant".

The present owners purchase No 60 from Sheila Mundle in 2008.

With thanks to the present owners for making their deeds available

Neal Kerss

June 2009

Sydney Buildings History Group ©