No 46 Sydney Buildings

No 31 pre 1902

No 46 today

The deeds for No 46 are not available but the documents relating to No 47 show that this house originally stood on a much larger plot, encompassing what is now No 47.

The Colborne family, Benjamin and Frances with their four children, lived at No 45 from 1837. Frances Colborne's father, John Jacques, purchased the large plot adjacent to No 45 in 1837 and built No 46. The Post Office Directories list occupants at No 46 [then No 31] from 1841. The plot, with the house and coach house, had passed down to the two Colborne daughters, Mary Eliza and Jane. In 1866 Jane surrended her interests in the property to her sister Mary Eliza. The plot was then divided in two, No 46 was extended and No 47, or Holly Villa as it was then known, was built by John Gregory, the husband of Mary Eliza.

To view the early history of No 47 with the link to the Colborne family click here.

Neal Kerss

September 2011

Sydney Buildings History Group ©