No 6 Sydney Buildings

Digest of the Title Deeds 1812 - 1858

No 6 today

June 23 and 24 1812: In compliance with an agreement dated 4th June 1811, William Harry, Earl of Darlington leased and released two plots of land to Thomas Cottell (gent of Bathwick) and James Deare (gilder). The land lay between the canal and the road now known as Sydney Buildings, and was bounded to the north by Bathwick Hill. From the measurements, it could have taken up all the space between Bathwick Hill and today’s No 10. On that land were to be built at least 13 houses, which together were to yield the Earl £68.16.6 p.a They were intended to form part of a notional Bathwick Village, with those to the north to be called Village Place. [There are discrepancies here with information about No 9.]

April 1814: A plot of the land referred to above was leased to William Girdler, carpenter of Bathwick (previously Walcot) in order that he could build the 13th of the intended houses. The plot measured (in feet) 62(E side) x 68(W) x 86(S) x 83(N). It was bounded to the North by land granted to Walter Harris and to the South by land granted to John Pinch . [Those measurements provide space for Nos 7/8/9 as well as No 6 and the alleyway.]

The same month there was an agreement between Cecelia Crighton, widow (later remarried to John Glendining), Luke Evill (described here as a gentleman, elsewhere as a brewer), W. Girdler and John Lester whereby Cecelia Crighton would receive £45 p.a. for the rest of her life in return for providing W. Girdler with £450. The annuity was repurchasable by W. Girdler on six months notice.

October 1815: A G. Burton of Walcot, gentleman, and W.B. Liddiard, a scrivener, provided a mortgage for Joseph Tucker of Walcot, coal merchant, also Nathaniel Newport, builder, and Luke Evill that allowed Tucker to buy the house at auction for £680.

Nathaniel Newport crops up in several of the deeds, so does John Lockyer Huntley . Newport was brother of John Lockyer Huntley’s wife Ann. Around 1826 Newport went bankrupt, owing Christopher Garrett of West Lavingston (mealman) £900. At a distress sale in 1826 two dwellings, a brewhouse, a sawpit, workshops, a stableyard and a garden were sold for £600.

April 1828: One-year lease on the 13th house, then known as 5 Sydney Buildings [and today as No 6] and occupied by John Lockyer Huntly or tenants of his. Contiguous [more correctly, adjacent] buildings both called Ivy Cottage, one recently built, occupied by Miss Crabb and Mr Edward Crabb, tenants of John Lockyer Huntly/Huntley, an engraver with a business at 2 Pulteney Bridge (today half of the Orvis shop).

There was a flurry of agreements in April 1828, including one in which Huntley and a trustee obtained a mortgage of £1,000 from Miss Louisa M Jones in relation to 5 Sydney Buildings.

May 1844: Remortgaged to Richard Eckley of Darlington Place in order to pay off Miss Jones.

November 1858: Release of equity between John Lockyer Huntly and Richard Eckley for No 5 (now No 6), then occupied by Mr. Sainsbury. Top or New Cottage (today’s No 7) was occupied by Mrs Stokes and Ivy Cottage (No 9) by Mr Huntley.

Jennie Lawton and Chris Morrissey

June 2009

Sydney Buildings History Group ©